Thursday, July 14, 2011

Capturing Summertime

This week's You Capture theme is summertime. 

Go ahead and hum along with Ella, you know you want to..."Summertime...and the living is easy...."

Except around here the garden is gearing up.

 first figs of the year

black-eyed peas (folks around these parts call 'em cowpeas)

shelled black-eyed peas



sandcherries about to meet their jelly maker


thinly sliced zucchini being cooked down a la Fearnley-Whittingstall

tomatillos bound for a Rick Bayless recipe, adapted here


Tired of all those vegetables and fruit? Here, I'll toss you a bone...

mouth-watering ribs, read about them here

Ah, summer. The livin' is busy and the eatin' is good.

You Capture is a photo project designed to motivate you to get out and use your camera(s). There are pros and beginners alike who share their captures; extend your summertime fun with more photos at: I Should Be Folding Laundry.

8 comments:

  1. Wow! That's an impressive garden! The ribs look good too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those veggies all look so good! I'm impressed with your gardening. My favorite is the shelled peas. They are such a pretty color and I bet they are yummy.

    To answer your question, the canvas look is achieved by using textures. There are all kinds of textures out there. You have to have either photoshop or photoshop elements to use them (unless there's a way to use them that I don't know about). If you are interested you can go to www.kimklassencafe.com. She has lots of free tutorials on how to apply texture and she has free textures too. It's a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the complements on the garden, Danelle and Deb. You just don't get to see all the plants that didn't make it or the bug-bitten, black-bottomed dwarfish veg :-)...although that might be an idea for a fun post, thanks!

    Cool Deb, I'll go check it out and see if I have the capacity to use those textures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I'm jealous of your garden. I can't even grow a stawberry plant in a pot without killing it. Cool photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, sandcherries! I remember I harvested a bunch of these from beside an old dirt road last year...I'll have to go back again this year. Lovely blog you have here, and amazing garden! I too, am jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Truth-- All three of those linked recipes are favorites in our house!

    Fish Cop- Thank you! But I can't grow strawberries either.

    emb - Thank you! I've never seen sandcherries in the wild; we planted these as part of a xeriscaped yard in a city of ~600,000 -- an urban edibles experiment of sorts. We managed to pick just enough for jelly (future post) before we sold the house and moved to our current location.

    Thank ya'll for stopping by. Too bad you're not closer, I have some chard to share...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What a wonderful harvest already. We're so much further behind and got a sorta late start...but we've got lots on the vines :)

    Everything looks delicious!

    Thanks for dropping by my Garden Link up. Looking forward t see how your garden is growing next week :)

    ReplyDelete